Inspector of Mold and Moisture

HomeHome & GardenInspector of Mold and Moisture

What causes mold to form?

Mold only needs a few elements to thrive and reproduce:

  • Nutrients (food) and 
  • appropriate growing environment
  • Moisture

Mold can grow on a wide range of construction materials, including wood, sheetrock, and other porous materials. Molds can eat anything that has accumulated on these materials or furniture, including dust. Mold may develop almost anywhere there is enough moisture or high humidity. Controlling moisture is critical to preventing indoor mold growth since all molds require water to flourish. Moisture can originate from a number of places, including:

  • From the outside, flooding (stormwater, overflowing lakes, streams, storm surge, etc.)
  • Condensation is the result of condensation (caused by indoor humidity that is too high or surfaces that are too cold)
  • Indoor fire sprinklers or outside sprinklers striking the walls
  • Moisture from the kitchen and bathroom is not properly vented (steam from shower or cooking)
  • Use of a humidifier
  • Plants for the home (overwatering, etc.)
  • Outside air is warm and damp.
  • Spills of liquid

Mold causes health problems.

People with chronic illnesses or immune system problems are more prone to be infected by certain molds, viruses, and bacteria. Molds can also trigger asthma attacks in persons who already have the condition.

How can I tell if my house has mold, and should I get a mold test done?

Mold growth can usually be seen or smelled in the home. If there is visible mold growth, sampling is usually unnecessary. There are no health or exposure-based standards that may be utilized to evaluate mold sampling findings. Mold sampling in the air can be expensive, and it should only be done by professionals. Instead of testing a mold problem, look into it.

What Is the Best Way to Get Rid of Mold?

Mold should be removed as soon as possible. Personnel who clean mold should be free of symptoms and allergies. Small mold areas should be cleaned with detergent/soapy water or a commercial mildew or mold solution. The cleaned area should then be fully dried. Sponge or rags that were used to clear mold should be thrown away. If the mold reappears or spreads rapidly, there may be an underlying problem, such as a water leak. Any water leaks must be addressed immediately when dealing with mold problems.

• Dry wet building materials and carpets within 24 hours

 • Reduce indoor humidity levels below 60% using an air conditioner or a dehumidifier If you have a central air conditioning system and require a dehumidifier to lower the relative 60%.

• Note: While most experts recommend relative humidity of less than 60%, keeping it below 50% is the best way to keep mildew and dust mites at bay. Allergenic proteins are left by dust mites after they devour mold and dead human or animal skin scales (flakes). Allergen generation is reduced by dust mites.

Should mold be killed using bleach or other biocides (disinfectants, sanitizers, or fungicides)?

In most circumstances, bleach or other chemicals are not required to kill indoor mold development. The goal should be to clean or eliminate moldy things in order to prevent mold growth. If you are exposed to dead mold, it might still cause health problems. Where humans are known to be susceptible to fungal illnesses, using bleach or other disinfectants on surfaces following mold eradication may be necessary (such as for a person with immune system problems). Please read and carefully follow the label recommendations and hazard statements if you decide to use bleach or another chemical (caution, warning, danger).

Conduct mold inspector Manhattan Beach inspections to rule out the likelihood of mold growth. Because it is hard to eliminate all of the minute mold spores, a building that has been contaminated by mold can readily re-grow mold. Any post-remediation water intrusions should be managed, dried, and cleaned up as soon as possible.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read