Best Certificates in Aviation

HomeEducationBest Certificates in Aviation


There are several different certificates that you can earn if you’re interested in becoming a commercial pilot. These include the Commercial Pilot Certificate, the Certified Flight Instructor Certificate, and an Instrument Rating. In addition, getting an Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Aviation certificate is also essential if you want to work for an airline.

Commercial Pilot Certificate

The commercial pilot certificate is the most common pilot’s license. A commercial pilot flies for hire and does not work for an employer that owns or leases the plane (think FedEx, UPS, or various significant airlines). You can also get a commercial pilot if you want to fly commercially but don’t have enough experience yet. In this case, you’ll need an instructor with at least five years’ worth of experience as part of your crew before being able to take passengers on board.

You can get a Commercial Pilot Certificate by taking an FAA-approved course from an accredited school like Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, which offers both online and campus-based courses across Florida. If you choose the latter option, you’ll attend classes next door to Daytona International Speedway—which is pretty cool! Once your training is over, you’ll need at least 50 hours (depending on whether it’s day or night) under your belt before taking your test with an examiner from the FAA office nearest your home airport.

Certified Flight Instructor Certificate

A Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) is a flight instructor who has passed the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) certification process, which allows them to teach others how to fly. There are two levels of CFI: an initial and an advanced certificate. An initial CFI can teach private and commercial pilots, while an advanced CFI can teach instrument rating courses, multi-engine courses, complex aircraft courses, and other advanced training topics.

A Commercial Pilot Certificate (CP) is for pilots who want to earn their first license by learning how to fly small airplanes; most people who hold this licence work as private pilots for individuals or small companies that need someone with their plane for business purposes. The requirements are similar for both licenses—you’ll need around 50 hours of pilot training from your instructor before passing both written exams given by your local FAA testing center—but there’s one significant difference: if you pass the test, you’ll get only one certificate instead of two!

Instrument Rating

An instrument rating is the most advanced of all ratings and also opens up a wide range of opportunities for pilots. It allows you to fly in any weather, so you can go where other pilots cannot. For example, with an instrument rating, you can fly in thunderstorms overnight or at night; this makes you highly sought after by airlines.

Instrument-rated pilots are needed across all types of aviation companies:

  • Commercial airlines need them.
  • Corporate jets need them.
  • Even air ambulance services require the services of these qualified professionals because they often fly into areas that are too dangerous for non-instrument-rated pilots.

The best part: your training will be paid for by your employer!

Multi-engine Rating

The multi-engine rating is required for those who want to fly a multi-engine aircraft. You must already have a commercial certificate and at least 250 hours of flight time in the air. In addition, you will need to pass an oral and written exam to get your multi-engine rating. Before taking the test, you must also have 50 hours of multi-engine flight time under your belt.

But don’t worry—the process isn’t as complicated as it sounds! While getting your license can take years, there are hundreds of ways to ensure that you’re on track with your studies so that by the time you get through all the classes, tests, and other requirements, graduation day won’t feel like such a distant goal anymore.

Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certificate

The Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) certificate is the highest level of certification and requires a minimum of 1,500 flight time and 250 hours of cross-country flight time. To get this certificate, you must complete an ATP course that includes classroom instruction and at least 15 weeks of flight training in a complex aircraft. Additional requirements include passing a comprehensive FAA knowledge test and aviation medical examination by a certified physician.

The ATP certificate requires pilots to have experience in all phases of flight—takeoffs and landings, air traffic control (ATC); instrument flying; and navigation techniques using advanced avionics systems such as GPS receivers. In addition to general aviation knowledge, it’s also essential for pilots who want to work for airlines to know how other types of aircraft operate so they can deal with any problems that may arise during flights on smaller planes or helicopters.

People interested in working as pilots can earn different certificates that might help them achieve their goals.

There are many different kinds of certificates for people who want to be pilots. Some are required by law, some are optional and can help you get a job, and others make you look good at parties where everyone is wearing a flight suit.

For example, suppose you work as an airline or charter plane pilot. In that case, having an instrument or multi-engine rating is probably unnecessary—unless your employer wants them. However, these certifications may be essential if your goal is to fly helicopters (or even small planes). In addition, other certificates can help someone become a certified flight instructor (CFI) or learn how to fly jets or commercial aircraft.


This is only a summary of the various certificates people interested in aviation can earn. If you have more questions about them or want to know more about what it takes to become an airline pilot or get your license, don’t hesitate to contact us at [email protected].


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read