Did you know that a license plate can tell us a lot about a country? Tags have been around for vehicles for north of 100 years.
In this article, we’ll take a look at the 25 most interesting facts about license plates from around the world.
- The United States has the largest number of registered vehicles in the world, with over 250 million. That’s almost one vehicle for every person in the country!
- China comes in second, with over 100 million registered vehicles.
- Japan has the oldest plate system in the world, dating back to 1898.
- The world’s smallest license plate can be found on the island of Guernsey in the Channel Islands. It measures just 4 inches by 2 inches (10 cm x 5 cm).
- The first U.S. state to require plates was New York, in 1901.
- The first country to introduce plates was France, in 1893.
- Brazil has the largest number of characters on its plates, with up to eight digits.
- Afghanistan has the shortest plate numbers, with just two digits.
- Iraq uses a combination of Arabic and English letters on its plates.
- The United Kingdom was the first country to use letters on plates, in 1903.
- Norway was the first country to use numbers on plates, in 1923.
- The world’s most popular plate design is China’s blue sky and white clouds design.
1. How many vehicles are registered in the United States?
There are over 250 million registered vehicles in the United States.
2. What is the oldest license plate system in the world?
The oldest license plate system in the world is in Japan and dates back to 1898.
3. Where is the world’s smallest license plate located?
The world’s smallest license plate can be found on Guernsey, an island in the Channel Islands.
4. How big is the world’s largest license plate?
The world’s largest plate measures 8 feet by 3 feet (2.4 m x 0.9 m).
5. How much did the world’s most expensive license plate sell for?
The world’s most expensive plate sold for $14 million at auction in 2014.
Customized License Plates with Pro-Tuff Decals
At Pro-Tuff Decals, we give customized tags at reasonable costs that let you show your camaraderie with satisfaction.
A plate of the license is a metal or plastic plate attached to a vehicle for identification purposes. Countries around the world have different requirements and designs for their license plates. The United States has over 250 million registered vehicles.