Oregano is a tough perennial plant that grows well in a kitchen garden. It is a fragrant, bushy, woody branching perennial that typically grows 35-40 cm. The plant’s scientific term is Origanum vulgare. This scented culinary herb is native to subtropical western and southwestern Eurasia and the Mediterranean region. A couple of plants will give you sufficient oregano to consume fresh in season and dry for winter use. The most delicious leaves are reported to be found just before the blooms blossom. You can even freeze the leaves to save them for future consumption. The plant is not only excellent as an ornamental plant, but it also has a myriad of medicinal advantages when swallowed or used topically.
How to plant oregano
- Oregano could be propagated through seedlings, cuttings, or potted plants. Seeds must be sown inside before the final forecast snowfall in your location.
- Oregano enjoys the sunlight, so keep in mind that your setting has plenty of it for a robust flavor. Many people plant later in the season to guarantee a sunny climate.
- It is not imperative to protect oregano plant seeds with soil.
- Oregano is an excellent companion plant for almost every vegetable in the garden.
Care for Oregano
- It is recommended to trim plants back before blooming regularly to ensure the plant is neat and to stimulate the development of new leaves; this will also cause the plant to branch afresh and prevent legginess.
- Thin off plants that seem to be three to four years old to ensure optimal quality growth in the spring season. Because oregano self-seeds, the plants will regrow quickly.
- Oregano doesn’t require quite as much water as other herbs. Because the quantity of watering depends on many factors, only spray when the soil seems parched to the fingertips. Remember that it is preferable to water infrequently and adequately.
Oregano includes compounds that may aid with cough relief. Oregano may also aid in digestion and the combat against certain viruses and bacteria. Individuals use oregano to treat wounds, parasite diseases, and various other diseases; however, there is no scholarly proof to back up these claims.
Aside from its therapeutic benefits, oregano is widely utilized for ornamental purposes, enhanced when it is picked fresh from the garden, which may be accomplished by buying an oregano plant online.
Aside from that, oregano is utilized in cooking; the leaves are used to flavor dishes, and dried oregano tastes better than fresh on pizzas.
To meet the required tastes and therapeutic reasons, one must buy oregano to get it afresh from their kitchen gardens rather than from a store and have it conserved for the winter season because it grows larger in July in the warm temperature. This was traditionally utilized as herbal medicines, which today you can avail it at home with the press of a button on your phone. To know more, feel free to look over the web and gather more info.